Our family is divided. On quite a few things actually….wheat bread versus white bread, whole milk versus skim milk, and a bowl of emulsified vegetable soup versus a bowl of hearty chili.
Three of us love mint, one of us does not. Mint chocolate chip gum, mint flavored Oreos, and mint chocolate chip ice cream are overwhelming favorites around our house. So when asked what he’d like to create for his signature holiday biscotti, our son responded quite confidently with mint chocolate chip. Then he discovered the bag of spearmint leaves we had stashed away to set out over the holidays. And of course those needed to be added as well. The spearmint stud the top of these mint infused chocolate covered biscotti with just a bit of holiday green and one more dose of mint.
While we’ve made different versions of mint chocolate chip biscotti over the years, his signature holiday biscotti incorporate what we love best about all the ones that came before, mint flavored chocolate, mint extract, and filled with Creme de menthe baking chips.
Mint Chocolate Chip Biscotti
YIELD: approximately two dozen
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons mint extract, plus ¼ teaspoon for flavoring the chocolate
¾ cup Creme de menthe baking chips
½ cup semisweet milk chocolate morsels
10 spearmint leaf candies, diced
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and place the rack in the middle of the oven.
2. In a large flat-bottomed bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the eggs and mint extract.
4. With a rubber spatula, stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture until the dough just starts to come together. Dust your hands with flour and knead the dough in the bowl until all the ingredients are incorporated and the dough is tacky.
5. Add the Creme de menthe. Knead the dough until incorporated, about 10 – 20 times.
6. Separate the dough in half. Form two logs, approximately 3 inches wide and 1 inch high on a parchment lined baking sheet. Leave several inches between the logs, the dough will spread as it bakes.
7. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, or until the tops begin to crack or split. Transfer logs to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
8. Transfer biscotti logs to a cutting board. Slice the biscotti on a diagonal and place cut side down on the same parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for an additional 20 minutes, turning the biscotti once halfway through. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
9. Put the chocolate morsels and ¼ teaspoon mint extract in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 15 seconds and stir. Continue microwaving for 15 seconds until the chocolate melts and is spreadable, similar to the consistency of butter. With a small spatula, spread the chocolate on the top of each biscotti and sprinkle with spearmint leaf candies.
10. Transfer the biscotti to the refrigerator for 10 minutes to set.
What to do with the ends #58: Sample the ends after the first bake for quality control.