Introducing…drum roll please…Crazy Peppermint Biscotti! Each year the kids create a signature holiday biscotti. This year, our daughter created an over the top pepperminty delight. She discovered a bag of peppermints we had in the Biscotti Bin and the rest is history. But, we thought she should tell you a bit more about her creative process. You can hear what she had to say below.
Our daughter said it best, “I think everybody in the world should try it.” With crushed peppermint candies in the batter and on the top of melted chocolate, these Crazy Peppermint Biscotti are worth making! We hope you enjoy them.
Crazy Peppermint Biscotti
YIELD: approximately two dozen
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons peppermint extract
½ cup finely crushed peppermint candies or approximately ½ cup, additional for the topping
½ cup semisweet chocolate morsels, for the topping
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and place the rack in the middle of the oven.
2. In a large flat-bottomed bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the eggs and peppermint extract.
4. With a rubber spatula, stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture until the dough just starts to come together. Dust your hands with flour and knead the dough in the bowl until all the ingredients are incorporated and the dough is tacky.
5. Add the peppermints. Knead the dough until incorporated, about 20 times.
6. Separate the dough in half. Form two logs, approximately 3 inches wide and 1 inch high on a parchment lined baking sheet. Leave several inches between the logs, the dough will spread as it bakes.
7. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, or until the tops begin to crack or split. Transfer logs to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
8. Transfer biscotti logs to a cutting board. Slice the biscotti on a diagonal and place cut side down on the same parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for an additional 20 minutes, turning the biscotti once halfway through. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
9. Put the ½ cup of the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 15 seconds and stir. Continue microwaving for 15 seconds until the chocolate melts and is spreadable, similar to the consistency of butter. With a small spatula, spread the chocolate on the top of each biscotti and sprinkle with crushed peppermints.
10. Transfer the biscotti to the refrigerator for 10 minutes to set.
What to do with the ends #57: Hang the ends on your Christmas tree as ornaments.